Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Budget Helmets- and how to buy them.

Last evening and early this morning- I was chatting with a few youngsters on helmets/ and the topic was budget-but good. A tough topic till we did some reading, brain storming - and here is the essence of our discussion. In no means even the start of a topic this huge.
MT, SOL, Lazer, LS2 (originals now available again), are all very good helmets.
Being in that 4000-13000 range - they all have some niggling drawback or the other yet at the same time, all have one or two star performers that transcend these problems. Helmet noise, auto opening visors, poor quality lining, bad ventilation- being the major cribs.
Then come along-
MT- Revenge.
SOL- SF5.
For example are brilliant in the 4500-5500 range. With 'Carbon' models from mostly all touching 13000.
Another star mid-range performer is the AGV k3- starting at 9000- and going upwards.
Finally at the end of the day you need to get the fit figured out.
I found all of them reasonable in terms of fit and finish but my GT-Air has spoiled me so much that even the Arai Corsair V that I have at home feels either tight or just too wide an visor that causes sun burns after 2 Days of nonstop riding ...
Now I was told that Bell helmets- price $150-700, are better than Shoei for fit and a particular Bell Qualifier is a spectacular budget buy. I looked at them and find that they are really good for the money they charge.
Likewise.
Caberg, is an Italian brand not sold in the US but wildly popular in the EU and the UK and the Caberg Duke model- 10000 range, is supposed to be an awesome modular buy. I do not like these kinds- but it's well acclaimed/ and hence here. It/Caberg helmets meet EU rules (PSB) but no US DOT and due to two visors- no SNELL, either. But it's a beautifully made helmet- for example their Stunt, Ego or Drift models- all in the 13000 range. Having seen their fit and finish on XLs, quite possibly my next buy- if I can find one for sizing my own head. Till then it's academic.
Every once in a while I get asked about Schuberth- which to the best of my knowledge make top class modular helmets- given the propensity of chin injuries in bike crashes- I am just unable to make peace with that design. Besides the good Schu's are from 500-850USD and I leave them alone. But so many people talk about this - they must be good.
My final two bits on a helmet buy/ 
Keep going on rides with fellow riders, keep trying helmets- keep asking for reviews. Ventilation, air noise, lining ease of washability, visor/ too big or too narrow, but what finally matters is the fit. It's always the fit.

Do read this article as well-
http://beagoodrider.blogspot.in/2015/09/helmets-and-how-to-buy-them.html?m=1

3 comments:

  1. Shall keep this in mind.. Next time I m hunting for a shell on my head. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. remove the tax burden so all the bikers can afford it for life safety. Sajid Khan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s tine to impose and make helmets for Kids too.

    ReplyDelete