Monday, April 2, 2018

Detailed Review of the Carberry Motorcycles- Vibration Reduction Plate

Detailed Feedback

After a long discussion on the theoretical benefits of the Carberry VRPlate with my close biking community, I decided to spend the 3000-odd on the plate and put it down to some money spent in the belief that someone could engineer a good quality add-on to a UCE engine. Both for the 350 as well as the 500.
Vinod, my go-to mechanic at Kalina, helped install it in under an hour on my TB350, and the first start up and idle- itself had me nodding- 'this sounds nice.'
Here is the review after riding about 55Km around the city.



The first start- idle, itself was steady and you realise that the key ring that usually sits and jitters while idling was steady and just sat there while the bike idled. The engine sound was muted and gone was the shake at every thump. My first reaction was as if some Japanese guys worked on the engine and made it super smooth. Yes. The handle bar ends and mirrors vibrate if left free- telling you that the pipe used for the handle must be some really cheap thin pipe thickness- that the rest of the bike sits there still- worth watching.
Getting out of the Kalina area and then the SCLR traffic, I was just loving the easy engine and have never been so content riding between 40 and 60KmpH and the engine so smooth at about a sahde over 2500rpm.

Once on the Eastern Express Highway, I was remembering- bike is smooth between 60 and 90--- must see what that is about. So at the first signal, I let it fly and the honest opinion is I missed the cues--- the engine ran to 4000 in first, and then touched 5000rpm in 2, 3 and 4th- by the time I was approaching the next signal, I was praying for a red light. In disbelief, I again gunned the bike, something that sounds so awful on a stock UCE- and noted the rpm- that the vibrations were felt (almost as a rev limiter) at the 4000 and 5000 levels. The bike was at an easy 100kmph- at under 4000- possibly more like between 3500-3750 and very easy.
At low speeds the bike engine is what a delight to ride.
At higher rpms, if you like that, then you have yourself a whole new bike.

As far as a recommendation goes, i can only ask you to get the following done- oil + oil filter change at the same time- if under 10K with company stock, and if above 10k then semi- or fully synthetic oil- and BUY the plate. You will love the engine all over again.
A few things that were different from the video- the magnet did not come off as easy as they showed, and needed some force and (err- lever force) to prise it off the shaft. The Shaft had a small 'chavi' or key, that easily fell into the oil, and will make a mess of things if you dont put it back on. If the chavi position on the shaft is facing downwards, then put the kick back on the open bike, and gently push the kick down to rotate the shaft till you see the key slot on the shaft.
After that its pretty much idiot proof, and follow the instructions- removing the dowels (two of them) and then placing the 4 parts in the sequence given on the paper in the box.
Please wash the front sprocket area and lubricate your chain while at it. Please use a new gasket for sealing the case when you are done. IF changing oil, then fill after putting the case cover back. If not changing oil, then check oil level, the oil lost is minimal and you many not even need to top up- but please check the window.

Ride well- and my closing thought was - had I kept my Classic 500- oh Boy! how it would have run.
#royalenfield #carberrymotocycles#vibrationreductionplate #thunderbird350

2 comments:

  1. It’s really great information for becoming a better Blogger. Keep sharing, Thanks. For more details to visit superbike accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very in-depth information. I wish I had read this before installing in my bike. Nevertheless, my mechanic did a good job and I was very happy I made this change. Thank you for your knowledge, guidance and sincere advices always KD!

    ReplyDelete